If you attempt to proof your generated books using the Kindle program for Mac, you may encounter a few problems, especially with ornamental images:
We’ve received reports of several issues with this recent update to Kindle for Mac:
- Ornamental break images can appear oversized and may overlap text
- Heading ornaments can disappear entirely
- The cover image may show through to other pages
- The Find command can show incorrect text
- The application can freeze when turning pages
- Links within the book can be difficult to click
As far as we know, these issues only occur when you sideload a book for testing. Books purchased by readers and delivered by Amazon should not exhibit these issues.
We’ve reported these issues to Amazon, but we have no way of knowing when they will address these problems with the Kindle for Mac program.
To proof your book, we recommend using Kindle Previewer. Kindle Previewer is the most accurate way to view your book, and will not exhibit problems like the above.
Update 1/22/20: A workaround for the image sizing issue can be found in Vellum 2.6.5.
Announcing Large Print and more trim sizes!
Here’s what’s new in this free update:
Now, you can create a Large Print Edition of your book with just a few clicks. Select a Large Print option and Vellum will configure everything for your book: font size, headers, page numbers and more!
With larger, more legible text, these special editions can help you reach new audiences of readers.
Prefer something on the smaller side? Choose from Vellum’s new Mass Market trim sizes. Your readers will love taking these portable, pocketable paperbacks on their next vacation.
International Trim Sizes
If you’re publishing outside of the US, you’ll appreciate a new set of international trim sizes. Options like B-Format, 12 × 19 cm, and A5 allow you to use European print-on-demand services, and create paperbacks in familiar sizes.
Combined, you’ll find over a dozen trim size options in Vellum!
Also in Vellum 2.5:
- You can now customize the Outside Margin of your print edition
- Dimensions in Print Settings can be shown in centimeters
- Books within a Box Set can each have a Table of Contents
- Improvements to how links and very long words break across lines
- The use of Line Separator characters no longer results in missing text
Vellum 2.5 is a free update. This version requires macOS Sierra or newer.
To get Vellum 2.5, use Check for Updates in the Vellum menu. Or download and install Vellum from vellum.pub.