With Vellum 2.6, you’ll find generation for Kindle to be more secure, more reliable, and much faster. That’s because Vellum no longer relies on Amazon’s KindleGen utility to convert files to the mobi format.
Instead, Vellum will now generate a Kindle-specific EPUB file.
Ready for Catalina
If you’ve been using macOS Mojave, you’ve likely seen warnings that KindleGen is not optimized for your Mac, and won’t work with the next version of macOS. That version is Catalina, and it’s coming next month.
With Vellum 2.6, you won’t see any of these warnings, and you’ll be ready for Catalina.
Questions & Answers
Here are some answers to questions you might have about this change:
- How do I publish my Kindle ebook?
- You can upload the
Kindle.epubfile straight to KDP. No additional conversion is necessary. Your readers won’t see any difference in the books they receive from Amazon.
- How can I check my ebook beforehand?
- The best way to proof your Kindle ebook is with Amazon’s Kindle Previewer, and it’s the only way to view your book with Enhanced Typesetting before you publish. You can open a
Kindle.epubfile directly in Kindle Previewer.
- How do I send an advanced copy to readers?
- To manage your ARCs, we recommend using BookFunnel. BookFunnel can accept the
Kindle.epubfile generated by Vellum and will automatically convert it if necessary.
If you don’t use BookFunnel, you can export a
mobifile from Kindle Previewer and send this file to your readers.
Any other questions? Contact us.
Also in Vellum 2.6:
- You can now add an affiliate code for links to Google Play
- Simplified approval of Restore requests for your license
- Fixed a rare problem with incorrect page numbers
- Improved editing margin values in regions that use a comma